Friday, May 23, 2014

Nine Weeks & Counting

Since we decided to delay our announcement, this blog entry will cover the first nine weeks of the pregnancy.

Although we kept it a secret from everybody, there is one person we told who was able to keep it quiet for nearly a month's time and it's a miracle he didn't spill the beans. Our son Hayden likes to jump on his mommy and daddy whenever he wants to sit next to us, ask us a question, snuggle, etc. After we found out and Hayden wanted to jump on mommy, she explained that he couldn't jump on mommy anymore.  Like any four year old, he inquired as to why one of his favorite pastimes would be discontinued.  "There's a baby in mommy's tummy so you can't jump on me." Wonder set in. I was a little upset that she told him. After all, he is a talkative (never stops talking) little guy and as far as I know, this is the first secret he's been entrusted with. I have to give him a proper congratulations though. He stayed tight-lipped through it all.



Today, we are 10 weeks pregnant. Even though we really aren't. Science can be tricky if you don't pay attention. We are officially 10 weeks since the start of the last menstrual cycle (hers, not mine). The egg fertilizes approximately two weeks after the start date. So, technically, the baby has only been developing for eight weeks.  In a 40-week, full-term pregnancy, the baby will develop over a 38-week period.  The more you know!

This pregnancy has been pretty different from the first one. Morning sickness, which reared its ugly head daily before, has not been invited to this pregnancy. There are some foods that trigger the nausea though. Subway, although delicious, is not something our baby will tolerate. We're not sure what exact ingredient is to blame, or if everything married together hates her insides. But at this point, Subway is off the menu. Sometimes it can be difficult to compare the intricacies of each pregnancy. Her appetite seems to be suppressed more this time than last. Whereas the first was mired with nausea and vomiting, her appetite has diminished quite a bit.  She can only really eat a small amount of food before she starts feeling uncomfortable. 

For the most part there are no crazy cravings yet. Throughout the first pregnancy, there were countless grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni & cheese...really anything with cheese in it. Two days ago, the inaugural glass of V8 was consumed. Anybody who knows me knows I hate tomatoes and the juice they produce with a passion.  If the first pregnancy was a college football bowl game, it would have been sponsored by Clamato. I will never fully understand why Clamato is a thing that exists in this world.  It is a disgusting, vile creation that I can barely bring myself to pour into a glass for my wife.  The smell always hits me in the face and I have to suppress my own gag reflex.  

Also, I am starting to remember how tiring is it to make another human life. She sleeps and naps a lot, which is great. It's starting to rub off on me too. There's nothing better than being able to nap.

I've found myself looking for baby announcements already. We've hit the quarter mark and I'm already wanting to get the new nursery set up. I want to order announcements! This week, it was my idea to go to Babies R' Us.  I want to register for things and clothes. I was talked out of it because there isn't really much that we need. If it's a boy, we'll be totally set for clothes. We'll need new bottles, rags, a few blankets, a pacifier.  There isn't much that we got rid of. If it's a girl, we'll need all that stuff plus clothes. It's fun to watch my wife look at clothes for little girls. She is in love with ruffle-butt underwear, anything with lace and/or pink. She'll pick things off the rack and show them to me to try and melt my heart, and most of the time it works!

Stay tuned for the next entry!


1 comment: