Friday, August 8, 2014

Snipped

Our doctor's appointment brought up an issue that we haven't completely thought through. Will we have baby #3? Or will we undertake a permanent form of birth control? To be honest, it was something I wasn't expecting the doctor to bring up. I don't remember it being discussed the last time Nikki was pregnant. Maybe because we were 25 and 27 respectively and were young enough to spit out a litter of kids still. Maybe it's because, with a beard and no hair prospects, I look like I just hit 40 instead of 30 despite losing 35 pounds.

I still think of us as a young couple and when I see people having kids into their late 30's, I know it's entirely possible. But two factors play in. Do we want to have another kid? I mean, we already have one of each, why not stop while you're ahead? Secondly, Does Nikki want to be pregnant again? Although this pregnancy has been a better overall experience so far for her, she still has four months left to go.

The doctor said that since Nikki is planning a scheduled C-section, this would be the only time in her life that it will be easier for her to undergo a tubal ligation. She will already be taking the risks of surgery, anesthesia, etc. No matter the decision we make, we will need to fill out the paperwork to authorize it because if we decide at the last minute to do it, we wouldn't be able to get the paperwork approved in time as it takes approximately one week to jump through all the hoops.

If we decide against it, it doesn't mean we are going to have a third one right away or even at all. It leaves the possibility open for us to grow our family even more. And when the time comes, maybe I'll go under the knife for once. I've been told it's a good idea to plan it for Fridays in the fall. That way I can spend the next two days sitting on the couch watching football.

No comments:

Post a Comment